Ecotoxicology merges the fields of ecology and toxicology and can be defined generally as the study of the fate and effects of chemicals (both natural and anthropogenic) on ecosystems. Consequently, ecotoxicity test data is an essential component of the necessary information required to inform decisions in environmental risk assessment and environmental management.
With more than 20 years of experience in academia, industry and consulting, Maria has considerable knowledge of toxicity assessments with environmental test models and the interpretation of research and test data.
Davoren Environmental have expertise and can assist clients in the following:
- Interpretation and application of the National Environment Protection (Assessment of Site Contamination) Measure (NEPM) e.g. provision of specialist advice and support in environmental toxicology to EPA-appointed Auditors;
- Derivation of ecological screening criteria (trigger values) for the protection of aquatic ecosystems using probabilistic species sensitivity distribution methodology;
- Classification of substances and mixtures for hazards to the aquatic environment under the Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS);
- Guidance on environmental hazard classifications for metals or poorly soluble inorganic compounds e.g. Class 9 (ADG and IMDG Codes) and HME for aquatic toxicity (MARPOL Annex V);
- Advising on and coordinating ecotoxicity testing through the use of sub-consultant laboratories.